Get Daily SuttonsLaw!

Follow me on twitter for daily updates! @SuttonsLaw

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Life of Privilege

The art of Eric Buterbaugh never goes unnoticed.
(Photo courtesy of Stefanie Keenan www.stefaniekeenan.com)
I live a privileged life, and I always have.  I was privileged to attend an elementary school where music and art were just as important as math and reading.  It was a privilege to attend a public fine arts high school where I studied chemistry and English literature but also studied dance, acting, art and music practically in one day.  I was privileged to attend an all woman's college to focus on political science and dance and acting.  It has been a huge privilege to have every one of my education experiences filled with academics and arts.  And it is the blend of the two together that made those experiences so special, so challenging and so memorable.

Last evening I had the privilege of hosting a dinner for P.S. Arts at my home in Los Angeles.  I recently joined the Board of Trustees to this incredible organization, and it is most certainly my privilege to be even a small part of what they do.  Public schools in Los Angeles and throughout California have lost almost all their arts education funding.  P.S. Arts provides professional art teachers of all genres in underserved elementary schools throughout the Los Angeles area.  These teachers from P.S. Arts work in the schools all day, all year.  Reaching poverty level students who would never have a chance to take a ballet class, learn a music scale or hold a paint brush to canvas, P.S. Arts is enhancing the lives of over 15,000 children each year.  I urge you to take a look at the facts of what P.S. Arts is doing and the impact that arts education has over students (http://psarts.org).  And P.S. Arts is truly a map for how to bring arts education into your own community: arts education, a privilege that should be allowed to every child in the United States.  

And what a beautiful night we had as the skies shone down upon us to celebrate and learn more about P.S. Arts and its endeavors.  I am beyond grateful for my parents giving me the gift of arts education in my life, and I was surrounded by people who feel the same.  That was a privilege indeed.  

Hubs with the man that makes it happen, Patrick Herning, and the reason I have the privilege of being involved
(Photo courtesy of Stefanie Keenan www.stefaniekeenan.com)
Our guest speaker and former student Allison Luengas with Mort Gleberman, Rona Sebastian, Krsten Paglia (Executive Director) and Jennifer Leitch
(Photo courtesy of Stefanie Keenan www.stefaniekeenan.com)
My mentors!  Maria Bell (President at Large) and Joshua B. Tanzer (Chairperson of the Board)
(Photo courtesy of Stefanie Keenan www.stefaniekeenan.com)
The amazing staff with Executive Director, Amy Shapiro
(Photo courtesy of Stefanie Keenan www.stefaniekeenan.com)   
The ladies that make it happen:  Julia Sorken, Pamela Bergman (Immediate Past Chair), Leslie McMorrow and
Maria Bell
(Photo courtesy of Stefanie Keenan www.stefaniekeenan.com)
Delta Airlines has been an important part of this year as well.  Beyond a corporate sponsorship, they also sponsored the dinner including an elegant menu from their Executive Chef and a wine pairing by their Sommelier for International travel.  My vegan plate was fresh, beautiful and tasty; and I have two new wine favorites:  Ramey Ritchie Vineyard Chardonnay 2008 (we were told to taste it in ten years) and Copain Pinot Noir "Les Voisins" 2011.  
(Photo courtesy of Stefanie Keenan www.stefaniekeenan.com)



No comments: