Get Daily SuttonsLaw!

Follow me on twitter for daily updates! @SuttonsLaw

Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Final Goodbye

Merce Cunningham Studio at the Westbeth Artist Housing Building
Photo Courtesy of Banu Ogan (also past Cunningham AMAZING dancer)

I remember the first time I stepped into the beautiful studio of the Merce Cunningham Dance Studio.  I had just moved to New York City, with hopes of becoming a dancer or choreographer.  No one had prepared me for the genius that I would find and become so entranced with.  Nor the experiences I would have.
With Merce, ever stylish in his ascots, and long time Board of Trustees member, Sage Cowles: 1999 -
Gala that I directed at the Argentine Consulate in NYC
Today was the final technique class to ever occur at the studio.  Yes.  It's sad.  Merce was one of those special humans that had the gift of creating something completely original.  And anyone that has ever taken his class knows that it was nearly impossible to do correctly.  His dancers were equally as special.

Packed house at the last of the "sixes"
Photo Courtesy of Banu Ogan
Funnily enough, I was more than excited to attend the World Premiere of American Ballet Theatre's Firebird on Thursday night.  More excited, I was able to see ABT perform Merce's work, Duets (originally choreographed in 1980) on the same program.  As with fashion, I prefer my art to be simple and clean powered by bewilderment and awe...

ABT dancers at Segerstrom Center for the Arts opening


The art will live on.

No comments: