Get Daily SuttonsLaw!

Follow me on twitter for daily updates! @SuttonsLaw

Monday, September 3, 2012

Fall Shopping: Loving Lisa Perry

Every now and then you find the perfect dress that seems like it was made for you, that's comfortable, that people compliment, that just suits you.  I was lucky enough to find that very dress last year after a friend introduced me to the Lisa Perry line.  I wore my first Lisa Perry dress that reads "Love Art" to my first day of Paris Couture last January, and I haven't looked back since.

Lisa Perry
A love affair of sorts, I now seem to be collecting Lisa's dresses.  Lisa was raised around modern art, and that, blended with her love of 1960s and 1970s fashions, has produced a product that is simple, clean, modern, fun and colorful.  But the real art in her dresses is in her shapes.  From circle dresses to sleek shifts, there is a dress in her Madison Avenue flagship store for any woman, regardless of age, size or shape.  And she's not afraid of color.  Bright hues fill the store like a bouquet of balloons, but then there are also basic blacks with pops of bright green, yellow or fuchsia.  I recently just acquired an all black patent leather dress from the fall sample sale - can't wait to pack it for the Fall Paris Ready to Wear shows.





I met Lisa a few years ago while sitting with her at the Friends of the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art table at the Met Gala in New York.  She is super nice and bubbly; her clothes exude every ounce of her personality.  And the truthfulness in that is refreshing and surprising.  I see her annually at the Gala, and I was able to speak to her in her store this spring.  I remember her asking me "who are you that you get to do all of these fabulous things in life?"  The same could be asked of her.
With Lisa in her store
My biggest obsession among her creations is the Limited Artist Collection.  She collaborates with art houses like Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol, and Jeff Koons.  She designs dresses, jackets, tops that not only showcase the artwork, but that look good on a female figure.  What a testimony to her love of art and the love of art that we all share.  It is so nice to see images or sculptures that are most naturally seen in museums or collectors' homes actually walking the streets, sipping on a cocktail or sitting at dinner.  More than a conversation piece, these special frocks are spreading the good news of the visual arts.

Jeff Koons pieces
My Pink Panther dress; with Chairman of the LA Phil David Bohnett and Cameron Silver
Recently inducted into the CFDA (Council of Fashion Designers of America), Lisa has designed a Fall/Winter 2012-13 Collection that is yet another success, with lots of bold colors and shapes.  There is a great bomber jacket, and a good looking fox collar coat.  I still don't know who the artistic collaboration is with for this collection, but I can't wait to find out.  Those are the pieces to wear and collect.
Seamed Swing Dress
Bomber Jacket and Swing Pant
Fox Collar Coat

Hopscotch Dress
Of course fall is coming out, but the Spring/Summer 2013 Collection is being shown in New York on September 5 at the store during New York Fashion Week.  I can only imagine the amount of cuteness that the pieces will bring - her designs are happy designs, and anyone that wears one can't help to feel happy and bright.

No comments: