Get Daily SuttonsLaw!

Follow me on twitter for daily updates! @SuttonsLaw

Monday, September 10, 2012

Guest Blog by Olivia Ucko: Monique Lhullier SS 2013 Show

Saturday night, as the elements were erupting outside, Monique Lhuillier brought Earth, Water, Air and Fire onto the catwalk.  Did Monique plan the tornado tearing through New York City?  Unlikely, but it was a perfect coincidence.  As the storm clouds covered Lincoln Center, we sat watching the elements walk before us...and my snake skin wrapped feet were dry...phew.


Ms. Lhullier has always brought femininity to her designs and this collection did not stray.  This season, the "Under the Sea" inspiration came to Lhuillier while on a trip in Turkey.  The mediterranean landscape played the part as aquatic hues, scaled cocktail dresses and gold shimmering gowns adorned the runway.  While some would see the digitally-created patterns as a nod to the future, I thought they lacked in flirty appeal when compared to the solid pieces.  In other words, perhaps theses patterns can be left on the ocean floor.  I couldn't see myself feeling sexy draped in muted turquoise discus fish.  However, the raspberry leather peplum dress will be in my dreams.  




One of the most exciting aspects to the show was the preview of the first shoe collection in which each pair showed the delicate touch Lhullier is known for.  




I loved the peplum throughout the show, such a complimentary accent.  





As always, most of the designs are destined to make a red carpet appearance, with or without the sea life.  Bottom line is this: Ms. Lhullier is a silhouette master and she holds the gift of creating designs that champion the female body.  As I sat in my seat, listening to the punky/ethereal music playing, I wanted to be on that boat and feel the same awe-inspiring moment as Lhullier had felt. 




****A big thanks to great friend and writer, Olivia Ucko, who took my seat at the show and at blogging.  Olivia lives in New York City with her husband Chris and baby Mac.  Great post - now to see it in person for myself!!!

No comments: