Get Daily SuttonsLaw!

Follow me on twitter for daily updates! @SuttonsLaw

Friday, October 12, 2012

2 Days in LA, from Art to Fashion to Art

Los Angeles is an interesting town.  When most people think of LA, they probably think the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Grauman's Chinese Theater, swimmin' pools, movie stars...  But once you start to peel the layers off this lovely onion, you can discover some true beauty and some fascinating people.
Jenny Wu in front of her own design (photo courtesy of Stefanie Keenan)
This week I first found myself at The Los Angeles Antiques Art & Design Show, benefitting the Decorative Arts and Design Council for LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art).  Held at the Barker Hangar of the Santa Monica Airport, this hangar was transformed into a haven of lovely chairs, sparkling silver, hung paintings and exquisite chests, clocks, rugs, bronzed horses etc.




I went with Christine Chiu, my partner in crime for the evening, and as we first stepped in, we discovered this beautiful stand.  I think I will have my dream Paris apartment look like this...


I went on a mission to find a dining room table for my new LA house.  After all, Thanksgiving will be here at any moment, and I just can't imagine my family from Georgia eating on the floor.  I saw a few nice pieces, but nothing quite right for the room.  I did, though, find this stunning 1950s French Desk from EPCOA.  This might just make my office perfect...


All in all, I skipped buying antiques this night.  Keeping the desk idea for later.  But Christine and I did manage to shop the antique jewelry counter.  I came home with a charm bracelet of large cat head with all the fish and mice he could devour.  And Christine scored a beautiful Buccellati inspired cuff.

  
The next morning, I was off to The Blue Ribbon luncheon and presentation of the Ralph Lauren Collection for SS13, courtesy of friend Judy Chang.  Held at the most incredible home of Carla and Fred Sands, the event was tented in the backyard with the catwalk running through the center.  Carla, the new President for Blue Ribbon, was poised and well-spoken as she explained that The Blue Ribbon is a charitable support group raising funds for the Music Center of Los Angeles, which includes Los Angeles Opera, Los Angeles Philharmonic, Master Chorale and Center Theatre Group.  Raising over $70M, it prides itself in bringing in over 700,000 fifth graders to the Music Center.




The clothes were typical Ralph Lauren.  It was as if we were transported directly to Spain or Santa Fe, NM.  There is one thing that I respect and like about Ralph Lauren: the line is always American in style.  From sportswear to evening wear, Mr. Lauren's clothes celebrate the American spirit, heritage and all her offerings.






The splendor of living in a city like Los Angeles is that you can be moments away from a fashion show like this, a small art gallery, a large art museum or a dance performance premiere.  But the best part could be having spacious gardens that can house striking, over-sized sculptures.


Los Angeles.  It surprises me each day.




1 comment:

SB said...

Glad you are loving all that LA has to offer. Many riches! And LOVE the desk.